Dec 19, 2012

John Coltrane's Posthumously Released Masterpiece Interstellar Space: (1974)

Interstellar Space is a fascinating set of duet recordings between John Coltrane and drummer Rashied Ali that were released 7 years after Coltrane's death in 1974.

What really makes these recordings so valuable is Coltrane's modern technique on tenor, and Ali's drums for that matter. This is music that 45 years later still sound like it was recorded 100 years into the future.

Since I am not a saxophonist nor a drummer, I can only judge this music by the mood it evokes. Interstellar Space is easily one of the most stirring jazz recordings I have ever heard.

 Coltrane's playing is from another world, perhaps John was in touch with the forces that would soon claim him, as he would be gone but a few months later? I still have no idea how drummer Ali was able to go toe to toe on this music with Trane.

I get the feeling when listening to the sheer earnestness of the playing that Coltrane had no where else to go, I listen to this music, and I say, how could you advance this music beyond where you are? Could the tenor sax be pushed beyond this music?

Had Coltrane lived, it would have been interesting to see what he was playing during the 70's, would he have gone the rock fusion route? Imagine if Trane and Miles Davis got together on those Osaka Japan concerts from 1975? Maybe he could have played soprano in a fusion band?

I know guys like David Murray, Anthony Braxton, and David S. Ware have developed this style and reworked it inside out, but have they advanced it?

Is interstellar Space my favorite Trane album? Well,  I have really grown to love it over the years. I would say A love Supreme, Giant Steps, Ascension, and Africa Brass are my favorite Studio Albums along with Interstellar space. The Village Vanguard live sessions are right there as well, but nothing in all of Coltrane's discography quite sounds like this album.

Hyperbole aside, I realize there are those that just can't get past the atonal sounds and really couldn't grasp the "over blowing" as the detractors will say. Believe me, there is much more to this music than that, any saxophonist or drummer needs to hear this album, if only for the virtuoso playing.

When Interstellar Space was originally released in 1974, "Leo" and "Jupiter Variation" were not apart of the record. Those 2 tracks were released in 1978 as the album Jupiter Variation.

Personally I believe the 2000 CD release to be the best remastering I have heard, and all of the music is in one Place too.

I still think the vinyl has a warmer sound, especially Coltrane, but the bass drum from Ali is less Muddy and the overall sound is pretty crisp, I would say that 2000 CD and 74' vinyl is a push.

In closing, I truly believe this recording is one of Coltrane's masterpieces. I wonder if Rashied Ali had a sense of satisfaction that he matched wits with the master on his last great recording? That fact, that he did stand toe to toe with Trane is the real secret of Interstellar Space.



No comments:

Subscribe to this Blog Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

If you enjoy this blog, any donations are greatly appreciated:
paypal.me/jjay

My Blog List

Disclosure

Affiliate Disclosure:
Jason Sositko is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

I also use Adsense,VigLink, Skimlinks, and eBay to earn further affiliate income through this site.Any link you click could take you to a partner page, if you purchase a product I could receive a commission.