Feb 28, 2014

Miles Davis at the Fillmore: Vinyl and Now New 4 Disc Bootleg Box Set

Exciting news for March 25th 2014, the Miles Davis Bootleg series releases it's third volume. This time recordings live from the Fillmore East in New York City circa June 1970.

This music was originally released 8 months after Bitches Brew hit the streets, and these live shows featured bands like the Grateful Dead and Santana sharing the bill.

When  I first heard about this release, I immediately thought about Saxophonist Steve Grossman and how he was virtually edited out of the original release, I will be very interested in hearing his tenor sax contribution on these restored sessions.

The title track for Bitches Brew is the glue that holds these sessions together, fact is, it can get a tad monotonous, but it's hard not to enjoy it as rock solid pallet on this double album. I like the twin piano attack of Chick Corea and Kieth Jarret, lets be honest, both of them on the same record, crazy is it not?

Click Photo to Purchase
Corea and Jarrett do a lot of noodling for sure, but they always have something to say, and Miles is really playing well to my ear, in a cocky brash tone. Miles sure has a muscular style from 1969-1971.  After On the Corner, I think the tone becomes more brittle, yet more nuanced.

I think about those solos on A Tribute to Jack Johnson, and the Miles Runs the Voodoo Down, I get that same vibe here, just real good confident Miles in my opinion.

I see a lot of mixed reviews on this Fillmore show, mostly complaints about Corea and Jarrett meandering on and on, but hey I like the searching stuff.

 For me, sometimes the searching for that place to go "is" the place for me music wise. I feel this way about long winded progressive rock too, Yes and Van Der Graaf Generator come to mind, I love the stuff. So when I discovered Miles' electric music years ago it was like a religious experience.

I really am not over analytical about music I listen to, not in a music theory sort of way, I could care less. I am into analyzing moods, textures, and feelings. I am more about what type of emotion is stirred up inside me.

The pictured Vinyl copy still sounds great, and actually I prefer it over the CD reissue. But I will tell you this: With 2 hours of music not heard from the show, and some unreleased Fillmore West stuff thrown in as bonus tracks, I will be there to nab it up.

I also see that the Bootleg Series Vol. 3 has 2 lengthy essays, this time in booklet form, and not the horrid folded poster back notes of Vol. 2. Also the sound quality should be a considerably better than Vol.2. as the original source sound so much better.
 




2 comments:

eikestad@gmail.com said...

As much as the sound quality of The Juan de Pins sessions might has a "poorer" sound quality on High-end Sound-equipment; as they origin as actual Bootlegs;.
While the Fillmore-Sessions is an original Part of Miles's Coumbia- Catalouge; one just might has to admit that what's actually happens Musically on the JDP- Concerts (Vol-2.) is that one actually listens to Miles's Music Trancend to the next level: From Acoustic/Semi-Acoustic to the Electric Miles of the 70s.

This is a rare and extremely important recording, and probably unique in its own of that (accidently?) captured magic moment, as it reveals an actual transformation of Music.
Like a Nature-photographer that captures something never observed by man in nature before, or after, for that matter.

The Fillmore Sessions are unique in their exposure of improvisation on the outer limits; the actual frontiers of tonal music by Musicians that posesses an "Native-tounge-capasity" on their instruments (An expression that were used to describe the Chess World Champion Magnus Carlsson during the World-Championship in India last summer)
Here, The Miles Davis Septet's moved on to the next level, and travelling further out.

I totally feel ya on the Booklet matter.
That "poster"- thing was....like Stupid? Stupid; because itr's not an actual Poster- measure (2 by 3 ft./ 60 x 90 Cm)
And there's no DVD in Vol-3. But the Fillmore sesions probably weren't Broadcasted for TV; so there is no actual film material to make a DVD from? I must admit that i'm not sure on this; but it could be the reason.

I'm waiting for my "Fillmore- Bootleg Series Vol-3" to arrive in the mail any day now.
I'm like a kid before Chrismas- eve (Or day; as American Gift-tradition is).
I've of course got the "At Fillmore" on CD anyway. But i'll wait for the Complete show!

darkprinceofjazz said...

Well said: I know I am perfectly happy with my vinyl copy of the edited performances. Of course I do want to hear these, and I am not as picky as many audiophiles, I like good sound yes, but am well used to archival quality tape hiss and such as much pre WWII Jazz is marred with. So it has to be really bad for me to complain. That last Bootleg Series was OK sound wise, but a lot of people hated the sound.

I know Paul Tingen mentioned all kinds of issues with this set, he says Carlos Santana dropped out over art work? Also supposedly the piano channels were switched, I doubt this would be a major issue for me.

Of all the live stuff, This and Dark Magus remain my personal Favorite, The latter really kicks your head in.

here's that above link, if you haven't checked it out.

http://www.miles-beyond.com/news.htm

Subscribe to this Blog Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

If you enjoy this blog, any donations are greatly appreciated:
paypal.me/jjay

My Blog List

Disclosure

Affiliate Disclosure:
Jason Sositko is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

I also use Adsense,VigLink, Skimlinks, and eBay to earn further affiliate income through this site.Any link you click could take you to a partner page, if you purchase a product I could receive a commission.