Dec 1, 2014

John Coltrane's Giant Steps: My Favorite Tributes to the Saxophone Classic

Any saxophonist since 1960 has had to come to grips with Coltrane, much like Coltrane himself had learn from Charlie Parker.

Really, even now, 54 years later the track "Giant Steps" sounds like a Herculean effort. Trane, using his previously developed Coltrane changes to indeed create a literal GIANT STEP with "Giant Steps".

I do not have a background in music theory, I am not a formally trained musician. I don't approach music listening in that way either, I like the music or I don't.  I have been blessed with an inquiring ear so to speak, I like learning and acquiring a taste for different musics that other people seem to shun.

Giant Steps is one of those jazz war horses that is probably overdone to the point of it being an eye rolling experience. Probably like hearing a rock n roll cover band playing yet another rendition of Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water". Though I can attest, it is infinitely easier to play that on a guitar than "Giant Steps".

Below I have included a few takes on the Coltrane classic. I particular like the David Murray version, nearly 14 minutes of fun. Murray stretches out remarkably on the track.

A different small group Buddy Rich version with Sonny Fortune on Tenor is also fun. Woody Herman's 70's funky big band also takes a turn I rather Like.

Kenny Garrett does his best on alto in a trio setting that seems tame on the album to say the least, but this live version below nearly tears the paint off the wall. Over the years this version from 1995 has grown on me, Garrett is my favorite of the post Jackie McLean alto players.

Kenny seems almost shy at the start, perhaps showing respect, then Jeff Watts nearly blasts off into outer-space, what a great drummer he is!





No comments:

Subscribe to this Blog Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

If you enjoy this blog, any donations are greatly appreciated:
paypal.me/jjay

My Blog List

Disclosure

Affiliate Disclosure:
Jason Sositko is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

I also use Adsense,VigLink, Skimlinks, and eBay to earn further affiliate income through this site.Any link you click could take you to a partner page, if you purchase a product I could receive a commission.