Apr 10, 2016

The Most Entertaining Miles Davis Books I've Read


Miles Davis is one of the greatest trumpeters, composers, and band leaders in music history.

Miles was also a very complex human being. He cut his teeth as a jazz musician with the great alto saxophonist Charlie Parker, and then went on to change popular music nearly a half a dozen times the next 30 years.

Miles struggled with, and beat heroin addiction early in his career, and become somewhat a mythical figure even while he was alive.

I will likely never quench my thirst for knowledge about this great artist. Whether it's newly unearthed music, or a brand new book, I am always there to grab it up.

I own 12 books about Miles Davis, sure there's a few I've read that I traded in to the used book store, because I didn't particularly like it, or it just re-hashed common information.

There are a few however that sit on my night stand, that I do like to re-read before bed, or to quickly grab for a reference.

There are plenty of Miles Davis Biographies out there, I believe Quincy Troup's book to be the one to own, not to over simplify, but I highly suggest that you read the Miles Davis Wikipedia page, as it does a fine job of providing the common facts about Miles and his musical time Periods.

We Want Miles: Miles Davis vs. Jazz

I purchased We Want Miles at a second hand book store. I am glad I did, the full color artwork, album covers, and photographs jump off the page at you.

Nothing is groundbreaking from a writing stand point, but it makes a great coffee table book.

In fact, this is a book I thumb through all the time, just because I like to look at the photos, and original album art peppered throughout the lengthy book.

The book really is aesthetically pleasing, the more I talk about it, the more I like it.

I paid $7.99 for the book at that mentioned used book store, personally I would never pay the $60.00 retail. Get it used if you must, I really like this book.

Miles Beyond: The Electric Explorations of Miles Davis 1967-1991


Easily the most interesting book about Miles Davis I have read in nearly 20 years. The lost years being so sordid and juicy, really interesting stuff

Miles Beyond: The Electric Explorations of Miles Davis 1967-1991 by guitarist/author Paul Tingen is an absolute must read.

I began seriously focusing on the Music of Miles Davis around the year 1997.

By the time I worked my way to the electric period, "my favorite period by the way," it became evident that this was not only thrilling music, but would require further reading to understand what Miles was doing.

Coming to Miles Davis from a rock background is something I appreciate from Tingen. He has similar perspective as I do when approaching the entire body of work of Davis.

Figuring out who the other musicians were, and what exactly was going on, was not an easy task. It's music that takes time, and many listens to fully absorb.

Paul Tingen's book is a not only interesting story telling about Davis, but it also serves as a quick reference guide to the electric sessions, as well as all the musicians.

Not to mention the sometimes hard to decipher edits, and renaming of tunes that went on back then. Tingen does a great job doing the grunt work bringing this info into one place for us the die-hard electric Miles fans.

I like the fact the Tingen writes like he's just a fan of the music and wanted to tell everybody about how much he loves it. The writing style never seems too scholarly, anybody who loves the music will need this book.

Probably the most interesting point in the book deals with the 1977-1980 lost period, you definitely get the feeling Miles was burned out, injured from hip surgeries, his Sickle Cell Anemia, and probably at the time, not diagnosed clinical depression had taken a heavy toll.

It is amazing that he survived the drugs and debauchery during this time period and was able to come out on the other end of it with a new sense of tranquility.

His music was better quality than most critics give credit, if not as groundbreaking throughout the 1980's. Tingen does a great job filling you in on last 10 years of Miles life as well.

The Downbeat Hall of Fame Presents: The Miles Davis Reader

The Down Beat Hall of Fame Series Miles Davis book is also a must have with an endless supply of reviews, interviews, and blind fold tests. Frank Alkyer does a great job editing and compiling the info.

Miles never worried about any backlash from the words he said, some of his comments about Eric Dolphy during blindfold tests for instance are absolutely hilarious.

I love having all the original Downbeat reviews for Miles' Albums in one place, plus they have a nice color section of the Downbeat covers Miles appeared on.


Seeing the original cover this way is very cool, actually makes me want to start collecting them. It's also very interesting seeing original reviews for certain albums as they were released.

Sometimes the review is very matter of fact, as if they the reviewer can't hear what's going on.

The electric music reviews are very surprising to me, not all of them are negative. Perhaps, the late 60's critic wasn't as apposed to the new direction as many would lead you to believe?

The Miles Davis Reader, like the above Miles Beyond book can serve as reference book of sorts, with easy access to many famous quotes and stories.

  • I've also written many articles with my own take on the music of Miles Davis, you can find them here.

Photos used with permission, via Amazon.com

No comments:

Subscribe to this Blog Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

If you enjoy this blog, any donations are greatly appreciated:
paypal.me/jjay

My Blog List

Disclosure

Affiliate Disclosure:
Jason Sositko is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

I also use Adsense,VigLink, Skimlinks, and eBay to earn further affiliate income through this site.Any link you click could take you to a partner page, if you purchase a product I could receive a commission.