Jan 13, 2016

Out of the Cool: A 1961 Masterwork of Progressive Orchestral Jazz By Gil Evans

Undoubtedly, Gil Evans is best known for his breathtakingly wonderful Miles Davis collaborations.

Hyperbole? Perhaps... but one listen to 1958's reading of the Gershwin Classic Porgy & Bess would prove the point.

After all, isn't the Davis/Evans reading considered the definitive rendition?

There's omething about that album: I don't think Miles' vulnerable unpretentious sound ever sounded more inviting. Miles actually gaining rapport with the lonely as he plays.

Is this album, Out of the Cool, a 1961 Impulse Records release as good as Porgy, Miles Ahead, and Sketches of Spain? I think it fits comfortably with those masterworks even without Miles. I would only choose Porgy over Out of the Cool myself. The albums centerpiece is "La Nevada", a track recorded 2 years earlier for Pacific Jazz, a shorter version with thinner sound in my opinion than this release.

 That whole Great Jazz Standards record is pretty good, but the production is light years from the full rich sound of Out of the Cool in my opinion.

I don't know why, but when I listen to "La Nevada" I picture in my mind a hot and humid day, perhaps a muggy evening watching the sunset?  Odd, since Nevada is known for its desert climate. I also like that thick bass and drum sound out in front.

Most say it's lyrical impressionism that Evan's is known for. Perhaps that being a little less noticeable on Out of the Cool, is what makes it a stand out.

 That "Monet sound-scape" if you will, does enter very much on "Where Flamingo's Fly", a summer-time walk in the park is what I think of here. This also has a bit of a psychedelic vibe to the opening of the track as well.

If you're just know collecting vinyl, a mono or stereo pressing will only set you back about $40 max, it's supply and demand, but these older Van Gelder Impulse pressings are rising more and more.

With early Blue Note vinyl so astronomically priced, people are turning to other labels to collect. Better get them while you can.




No comments:

Subscribe to this Blog Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

If you enjoy this blog, any donations are greatly appreciated:
paypal.me/jjay

My Blog List

Disclosure

Affiliate Disclosure:
Jason Sositko is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

I also use Adsense,VigLink, Skimlinks, and eBay to earn further affiliate income through this site.Any link you click could take you to a partner page, if you purchase a product I could receive a commission.