Jan 13, 2016

Nick Brignola's On a Different Level is Indeed on a Different Level

Nick Brignola Bari
Nothing in the world of jazz gets my hair standing on end more than a killer baritone sax player.

Gerry Mulligan don't do that either, I like the baritone players that have a deep husky tone.

Pepper Adams, Ronnie Cuber, and the subject of this review Nick Brignola (1936-2002) are what I have in mind.

This album, On a Different Level from 1989, at the risk of hyperbole, kicks ass!

I found this CD at a local Dayton Ohio Goodwill for $1.99 and let me tell you it was forth 10 times the price.

A typical straight ahead pop date in  material, but not so typical is the high-quality playing from Brignola and his rhythm section.

Oh yeah ever heard of these guys: Dave Holland on Bass, Jack Dejohnette on drums and Kenny Barron on piano, yeah pretty damn good huh... they and Brignola offer one of the best bari showcase albums I ever heard period.

Standards like "Hot House", "Duke Ellington's Sound of Love", "Sophisticated Lady"and "Softly, As in a Morning Sunrise" are darned near definitive readings in my mind.

It's only been 6 months since I discovered Brignola and this album, but I have returned to it at least 10 times, and the album truly is a special one for those who like expertly played traditional Bop jazz. If you are a fan of the baritone, and Brignola isn't on your radar, he should be now.

Brignola never seems to run out of ideas, and his husky tone dances along the rhythms like a John Coltrane on soprano. The production is clean and crisp, quite simply a perfect jazz record. On Different level is an audacious title and absolutely true.



No comments:

Subscribe to this Blog Via Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

If you enjoy this blog, any donations are greatly appreciated:
paypal.me/jjay

My Blog List

Disclosure

Affiliate Disclosure:
Jason Sositko is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

I also use Adsense,VigLink, Skimlinks, and eBay to earn further affiliate income through this site.Any link you click could take you to a partner page, if you purchase a product I could receive a commission.